Let’s keep in touch follow me below:
There’s nothing better in fall than picking your own apples in Maryland. I always somehow miss apple picking season in Maryland, but this year I was on top of my game and ticked this fall activity off early over Labor Day weekend.
When Can You Pick Apples in Maryland and the Washington DC Region
Apple picking season in Maryland and DC picks up right when peach picking season ends at the end of August. You can expect apple picking in Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia to start right around Labor Day weekend, which is when we went.
Apple Varieties Available for Picking in Maryland Near Washington DC
What kind of apples can you pick in Maryland near DC? There is a large variety of apples available for pick your own in farms and apple orchards throughout Maryland, just a quick drive from Washington DC. We chose specifically to go in early September because we love Honeycrisp apples and that’s when they are ripe for picking.
We actually discovered a new variety that we love as well, Crimson Crisps! These apples are sweet and extra crunchy!
Pretty much every variety of apple you can think of is available for picking at various farms and orchards around Maryland and DC, here are some:
Apples you can pick in September in Maryland:
- Crimson Crisp
- Pink Lady
- Autumn Crisp
- Golden Delicious
- Red Delicious
- Grimes Golden
Apples you can Pick in October in Maryland:
- Hudson’s Golden Gem
- Ida Red
- Wine Crisp
- Granny Smith
- Pink Lady
- Florina Querina
- Gold Rush
Where to Pick Apples in Maryland
Waters Orchard Pick Your Own Apples Maryland
Waters is a lovely apple orchard in Maryland that also has a cidery! We specifically picked this Maryland apple orchard because they had Honeycrisp apples available for picking. A few other orchards have Honeycrisps too, but they were out the weekend we went.
At Waters Orchard in Maryland, the attendant introduced a new apple variety to us as well, the Crimson Crisp apple. The Crimson Crisp apple is super crunchy just a bit tart and stores really well. Just my kind of apple. The reason we love Honeycrisp apples is that they are crunchy and never get that sandy mealy texture that Red Delicious tends to get. Crimson Crisps are very similar that way, and even crunchier than the Honeycrisps!
After having our fill of picking apples we stopped by Waters Cidery down the road from the orchard. Doc Waters Cidery has delicious ciders both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, and with or without bubbles. They even have cider slushies.
We ended up with a bubbly grapefruit cider and 2 cider slushies (one non-alcoholic for the little one). All were delicious and refreshing on a hot day after apple picking.
The cidery offers plenty of seating and an outdoor fire pit for you to roast your own hot dog (they sell the hot dogs). They have a limited variety of snack foods, but you can bring your own (we did).
- Call before you go to see what’s in ripe for picking that day: 301-253-4956
- Apple picking available 9-5pm Saturdays and Sundays
- Location: 22711 Wildcat Rd, Germantown, MD 20876
- Pick your own pricing:
- Half Peck ~5-6lbs. ………..$15 (includes up to 2 guest entries)
- Peck ~11-12lbs. …………….$22 (includes up to 4 guest entries)
- Half Bushel ~20-24lbs. ……$38 (includes up to 6 guest entries)
- Extra Guest ages 2 and older …………………………………$5/person
Butler’s Orchard Apple Picking in Maryland
Butler’s Orchard has been one of our favorite day trips throughout this summer. We’ve gone strawberry picking, blueberry picking, and flower picking here. They even have a sunflower field, little animal farm, and giant slides.
We have not been to this Maryland farm specifically for apple picking, but I’ve seen the orchards and they are gorgeous.
If you have time you can actually go to Waters Orchard and Butler’s in one day. They are right next to each other!
- Apple picking available Early September through mid-October
- Call before you go for picking availability: 301-428-0444
- Location: 22222 Davis Mill Road, Germantown, MD 20876
- $3 per person entrance fee, free for children under 24 months
- Currently picking Galas at $2.09 per pound
Rock Hill Orchard Apple Picking in Maryland
Rock Hill Orchard is another one of our favorites for pick your own in the DC area with 30 acres of apple and peach orchard! We’ve been here for peach picking and flower picking! They have the prettiest wildflower field for picking in the DC area!
With over 30 varieties of apples and several thousand trees, including 3,000 new high-density apple trees (these trees don’t require a ladder for picking), there’s definitely plenty of apples to pick here. I’m excited to try the Evercrips which Rock Hill describes as “Packing a loud crunch, the apple combines the best of its parents HoneyCrisp and Fuji.” I’ve not seen this variety listed at any of the other orchards!
And did I mention Rock Hill Orchard is a creamery also? They serve up some of the best homemade ice creams in the DC area on par with Rocky Point Creamery.
So after all that hard work picking apples, stop by the creamery for a yummy cone!
- Apple Picking – Opens Saturday, August 24th. Then Fridays, Saturday and Sundays 10-4pm
- Call before you go for picking availability: 301-831-7427
- Location: 28600 RIDGE ROAD, MOUNT AIRY, MD 21771
- Farm Hours: TUES-SAT 10AM-6PM, SUN 12PM-5PM, CLOSED MONDAY
- Pricing for Pick Your Own Apples:
- Small Bag – $12 , includes up to 2 guests. This bag holds 5 to 6 pounds of apples
- Medium Bag – $21 , includes up to 4 guests. This bag holds 10 to 12 pounds of apples
- Large Bag -$34 , includes up to 6 guests. This bag holds 20 to 24 pounds of apples
- Additional guests – $3 each
- You must use the bags provided, not your own bags
- All apples must fit in the bag, no carrying in hands, purses, strollers, etc.
- A guest is anyone aged 3 years old and older who wants to enter the apple orchard
BONUS Larriland Farm Apple Picking
I’ve not been to Larriland Farm and found it because I was googling where to pick Honeycrisps in Maryland. Larriland Farm came up but they were all out of Honeycrisps for picking the day we went.
But my friends went here for peach picking and grape picking. They said the grapes were amazing! Larriland Farm is also the only one I’ve found that have ASIAN PEARS available for picking!
- Location: 2415 Woodbine Road | Woodbine, MD 21797
- Call before you go to to see what’s available for picking: 410-442-2605 or 301-854-6110
- Pick your own charged by the pound
- Hours for September:
- Sunday. 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Monday – closed
- Tuesday – Friday 9:00am – 6:00pm
- Saturday 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Hours for October:
- Sun. 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Monday – closed. Except open Columbus Day 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Tues. – Fri. 9:00am – 6:00pm
- Sat. – Sun. 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Columbus Day, Monday, 9:00am – 5:00pm
Book a Photo Session
Interested in capturing stunning photos at the sunflower fields? Book a session with me today! I specialize in family, newborn, maternity, and portrait photography. Capture real smiles at picture-perfect locations! Space is limited.