When Can You Pick Apples in Maryland and the Washington DC Region
Apple picking season in Maryland and DC picks up right when peach picking season ends at the end of August.
You can expect apple picking in Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia to start right around Labor Day weekend, which is when we went.
Apple Varieties Available for Picking in Maryland Near Washington DC
What kind of apples can you pick in Maryland near DC?
There is a large variety of apples available for pick your own in farms and apple orchards throughout Maryland, just a quick drive from Washington DC.
We chose specifically to go in early September because we love Honeycrisp apples and that’s when they are ripe for picking.
We actually discovered a new variety that we love as well, Crimson Crisps! These apples are sweet and extra crunchy!
Pretty much every variety of apple you can think of is available for picking at various farms and orchards around Maryland and DC, here are some:
Apples you can pick in September in Maryland:
- Crimson Crisp
- Pink Lady
- Autumn Crisp
- Golden Delicious
- Red Delicious
- Grimes Golden
Apples you can Pick in October in Maryland:
- Hudson’s Golden Gem
- Ida Red
- Wine Crisp
- Granny Smith
- Pink Lady
- Florina Querina
- Gold Rush
Waters Orchard Pick Your Own Apples Maryland
Waters is a lovely apple orchard in Maryland that also has a cidery! We specifically picked this Maryland apple orchard because they had Honeycrisp apples available for picking. A few other orchards have Honeycrisps too, but they were out the weekend we went.
At Waters Orchard in Maryland, the attendant introduced a new apple variety to us as well, the Crimson Crisp apple. The Crimson Crisp apple is super crunchy just a bit tart and stores really well. Just my kind of apple.
The reason we love Honeycrisp apples is that they are crunchy and never get that sandy mealy texture that Red Delicious tends to get. Crimson Crisps are very similar that way, and even crunchier than the Honeycrisps!
After having our fill of picking apples we stopped by Waters Cidery down the road from the orchard.
Doc Waters Cidery has delicious ciders both alcoholic and non-alcoholic and with or without bubbles. They even have cider slushies.
We ended up with a bubbly grapefruit cider and 2 cider slushies (one non-alcoholic for the little one). All were delicious and refreshing on a hot day after apple picking.
The cidery offers plenty of seating and an outdoor fire pit for you to roast your own hot dog (they sell the hot dogs). They have a limited variety of snack foods, but you can bring your own (we did).
For 2021 Doc Waters has set up several individual fire pits you can reserve for FREE! Each fire pit sits about 6 people.
Doc Waters provides all the firewood too.
We absolutely loved this experience and enjoyed some hot cider too.
If you are hungry they rotate food trucks on-site. The day we there was a poutine food truck and it was delicious!
- Call before you go to see what’s in ripe for picking that day: 301-253-4956
- Apple picking available Friday to Sunday by reservation: Reserve HERE
- Location: 22711 Wildcat Rd, Germantown, MD 20876
- Pick your own pricing:
- Half Peck ~5-6lbs. ………..$17 (includes up to 2 guest entries)
- Peck ~11-12lbs. …………….$27 (includes up to 4 guest entries)
- Half Bushel ~20-24lbs. ……$45 (includes up to 6 guest entries)
Butler’s Orchard Apple Picking in Maryland
Butler’s Orchard has been one of our favorite day trips throughout this summer. We’ve gone strawberry picking, blueberry picking, and flower picking here. They even have a sunflower field, little animal farm, and giant slides.
We have not been to this Maryland farm specifically for apple picking, but I’ve seen the orchards and they are gorgeous.
If you have time you can actually go to Waters Orchard and Butler’s in one day. They are right next to each other!
- Apple picking available Early September through mid-October
- Call before you go for picking availability: 301-428-0444
- Location: 22222 Davis Mill Road, Germantown, MD 20876
- $3 per person entrance fee, free for children under 24 months
- Currently picking Galas at $2.09 per pound
For 2023 Butler’s Orchard requires online pre-purchase of tickets for pick your own, get tickets here. Their opening weekend for apple picking is September 4, 2023.
Rock Hill Orchard Apple Picking in Maryland
Rock Hill Orchard is another one of our favorites for pick your own in the DC area with 30 acres of apple and peach orchard!
We’ve been here for peach picking and flower picking!
They have the prettiest wildflower fields for picking in the DC area!
With over 30 varieties of apples and several thousand trees, including 3,000 new high-density apple trees (these trees don’t require a ladder for picking), there’s definitely plenty of apples to pick here.
I’m excited to try the Evercrips which Rock Hill describes as “Packing a loud crunch, the apple combines the best of its parents HoneyCrisp and Fuji.” I’ve not seen this variety listed at any of the other orchards!
And did I mention Rock Hill Orchard is a creamery also?
They serve up some of the best homemade ice creams in the DC area on par with Rocky Point Creamery.
We tried strawberry, black raspberry, and chocolate. While all were delicious, dark chocolate stood out as the best chocolate ice cream outside of the chocolate gelato I’ve had in Italy! None of the gelato places in DC are anywhere as good as this!
And they have baby cows that you can feed and pet!
- Apple Picking – Saturdays and Sundays
- Call before you go for picking availability: 301-831-7427
- Location: 28600 RIDGE ROAD, MOUNT AIRY, MD 21771
- Pick Your Own Apples: SATURDAY, SUNDAY FROM 10AM – 2PM
- No reservations required but each person must buy a bag
Larriland Farm Apple Picking
I’ve not been to Larriland Farm and found it because I was googling where to pick Honeycrisps in Maryland. Larriland Farm came up but they were all out of Honeycrisps for picking the day we went.
But my friends went here for peach picking and grape picking. They said the grapes were amazing! Larriland Farm is also the only one I’ve found that have ASIAN PEARS available for picking!
- Location: 2415 Woodbine Road | Woodbine, MD 21797
- Call before you go to to see what’s available for picking: 410-442-2605 or 301-854-6110 or click here for the list.
- Pick your own charged by the pound
Sunday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Monday – closed
Tuesday – Friday 9:00am – 6:00pm
Saturday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Labor Day, Monday 9:00am – 1:00pm
Columbus Day, Monday, 9:00am – 1:00pm
Open through the first Sunday of November.
For 2023 Larriland has placed some new policies for apple picking:
- Pick your own crops are charged by the container, not by the pound. Drive to the field, (do not walk) following signs from the Red Barn. Purchase a new Larriland container at the field. There are several different sizes. The size of the container determines how many people may enter the field. No outside containers may be used on our farm.
- You may only pick in fields that are open for picking. Open fields are staffed with a clerk, a check out stand, and price signs. All other fields are closed for picking.
- To pick: follow the instructions of the clerk to pick properly ripened fruits/vegetables. Leave unripe fruits/vegetables on the plant to ripen in a few days.
- A hat, sturdy shoes, comfortable clothing and plenty of sunscreen enhance your time in the field.
- Children are welcome when accompanied and monitored by their parents.
- Cash, checks, and credit cards accepted both in the field and in the Red Barn. Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. ATM available in the Red Barn.
- Larriland’s fields are for picking, not for eating.
- Please leave your dogs/pets at home. No pets allowed on the farm except for trained service dogs.
- The picnic area is at the Red Barn. No eating in the fields. No grills.
- No wandering about the farm. No loitering on the farm. No drones.
Homestead Farm in Poolesville Maryland
Homestead Farm in Poolesville Maryland is another great spot for apple picking!
They currently have Crimson Crisp apples available for picking.
They do require a $3 fee to pick your own apples, but no reservation is needed to pick apples.
- Open 7 Days a Week, 9am – 5pm, rain or shine
- Open Labor Day 9am-5pm
- $1.99 per pound pick-your-own Honeycrisp Apples
- For updates on what you can pick click here.
Location: 15604 Sugarland Rd, Poolesville, MD 20837
Catoctin Mountain Orchard
Catoctin Mountain Orchard is THE place for apple picking if you are looking for an orchard surrounded by mountains! This place is so picturesque and has such a beautiful flower field as well!
(My dress available here)
Pick your own apples at Catoctin Mountain Orchard is available every Saturday and Sunday, 10 am to 3 pm, without a reservation.
Their apple picking season for 2023 has started, you can pick Gala, Blondee, and SummerSet apples. Honey crisp apples are available for purchase in the market. On August 7th their Apples were hit by a hail storm so they will not be perfectly pretty but will still taste amazing!
Apple picking prices and sizes (CASH ONLY, Prices are from 2021):
- Half Peck bag : 5 to 6 lbs of apples ……..$13.00
- Peck bag : 11 to 12 lbs of apples …………..$23.00
- Half Bushel bag : 20 to 22 lbs of apples ..$32.00
- Entrance Fee: $3 per person
( under 2 yrs. are free)
- Includes wagon ride to and from apple field
Apple Picking Guidelines:
- Pick Your Own Apples every Saturday and Sunday in September and October and last weekend in August.
- Apple picking is from 10am- 3pm. Last wagon leaves at 4, those still in the apple field can pick until 3:30.
- NO PICNICKING IN THE APPLE ORCHARD. Picnic tables are located at the playground.
- NO walking in the orchard.
- Before leaving home, please check back on this page or call for picking availability 301-271-2737 and hours depending on weather conditions. Catoctin reserves the right to close the Apple Orchard due to inclement weather that may include heavy rain, thunder, lightning and/or severe winds without advanced notice in order to protect our customers and employees.
- Cash sales ONLY. ATM is available on site (Sept. & Oct.)
- Apple varieties will change as the season progresses.
- You must purchase your Pick Your Own bags at the check-in building located above the market on your way to the playground.
- You will see apple signs on the building indicating the check in for pick your own apples.
- No outside containers, bags, and backpacks are permitted inside the orchard. Please leave bags and personal items in your car.
- There is a $3 entrance fee per person to enter the apple orchard which includes a wagon ride out to Apple field to pick. Age three and younger are free.
- All Apples picked must fit inside the bag you purchased. You cannot carry any Apples out of the Orchard. If you do, you will have to buy an additional Bag for them.
- Pets are not allowed in the Orchard
- If you drop an apple or an apple falls off the tree while picking, we kindly ask you to pick it up to ensure no apple goes to waste.
And if you are looking to make a fun family day trip out of your visit, definitely head over to Magnolia Meadow Farms for their Fall Festival, it’s just 15 minutes away – MORE INFO.
Location: 15036 North Franklinville Road, Thurmont, MD 21788
Book a Photo Session
Interested in capturing stunning photos around Washington DC? Book a session with me today! I specialize in family, newborn, maternity, and portrait photography. Capture real smiles at picture-perfect locations! Space is limited.