Maryland is full of pick your own fruit farms and orchards! Usually, strawberry picking kicks off the pick-your-own season in Maryland around May.
Picking your own fruit is a great day trip from DC, as most of the pick your own fruit farms in Maryland are within a 30 – 60 minute drive from Washington DC.
I never actually did this when I was a kid, but my daughter loves picking her own fruit!
We’ve taken her to pick strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, and apples at pick your own farms all across Maryland.
The fruits ripen at different times depending on the farm, so I’ve detailed about when the picking season is for each farm.
Also, most farms will require pre-purchased timed entry, mask wearing and social distancing because of the pandemic.
Remember to pack a hat, hand sanitizer, and lots of water because there’s rarely any shade in the fields.
Strawberry Picking Season in Maryland
Strawberry picking season in Maryland usually starts in May and runs through June. Different pick your own farms will have different opening dates for their pick your own strawberries in Maryland.
For each farm I’ve listed I’ve given approximate month of when you can pick strawberries and other fruits in Maryland.
Butler’s Orchard in Montgomery County Maryland
Butler’s Orchard continues to be our FAVORITE farm for picking your own fruit in Germantown, Maryland!
This farm really has it all with farm animals, sunflower fields, and strawberries!
Insider tip, if you go to Butler’s Orchard for strawberry picking in Maryland, look for the field with the tiny strawberries, those are the best.
- Summer you can pick strawberries (May/June), raspberries (June/July), blueberries (July/August), blackberries (July/August)
- Fall you can pick apples (October/November)
- They also have a variety of pick your own vegetables
- You can pick your own flowers around July to August
- For 2022 they have pick your own peonies May 21 and 22
- Location: 22222 Davis Mill Road, Germantown, MD 20876
- Fees: There’s an entry fee in addition to the cost of what you picked. You can no longer bring your own containers because of the pandemic and you will have to pre-purchase your containers.
- Butler’s Orchard usually releases picking times once a week for pre-purchasing a time slot.
- Get your tickets here
Gorman Farms in Laurel Maryland
Gorman Farms is more of a CSA than a pick your own farm but they have some of the best pick your own strawberries in Maryland. Their strawberry picking starts in May!
- They have opened for the 2022 season! I would go early because their strawberries get picked out very quickly!
- Location: 10151 Gorman Rd, Laurel, MD, 20723
Larriland Farm in Woodbine Maryland
Larriland has both fruits and vegetables for the picking! They even have asian pears you can pick, which is a rarity in Maryland!
And you can pick flowers here as well!
- Strawberry picking at this Maryland farm starts in May and goes through June
- During summer you can pick tart cherries (June/May), red raspberries (June-September), black raspberries (late June – early July), blueberries (June-July), blackberries (July-August), peaches (August-September)
- Larriland Farm is one of the few places you can pick grapes in August
- In fall you can pick a variety of apples and asian pears from late August to November
- Larriland has vegetables for picking as well throughout summer, and pumpkins in the fall.
- Larriland does not require prior reservation to pick your own
- Their fruit gets picked out quickly call ahead to see what’s available before you leave your house: 410-442-2605
- Location: 2415 Woodbine Road | Woodbine, MD 21797
Homestead Farm in Montgomery County Maryland
Homestead Farm is not far from Butler’s Orchard but far less busy!
This is kind of a no frills farm for those families that want to strictly pick. Homestead also does not require advanced ticket purchase to pick your own fruit, but you will need to pay a $3 entrance fee.
- Summer fruit to pick include tart cherries (mid-June), blueberries (June-July), yellow and white peaches (July-August), blackberries (July-August)
- For fall you can pick apples (August-October) and pumpkins (September-October)
- Location: 15604 Sugarland Road, Poolesville, Maryland 20837
Country Aire Farm Strawberry Picking in Maryland
Country Aire Farm in Maryland has pick your own strawberries in May! If you are looking for early strawberries then this farm is it for picking your own.
Location: 631 W Bayfront Rd, Lothian, MD 20711
Contact: Phone: 301-943-1471. Alternate Phone: 443-433-6657. Email: email@example.com
Catoctin Mountain Orchard
Don’t let the name of this farm fool you, Catoctin Mountain Orchard has more than just apple orchards!
They have all the berries you’ll want to pick in Maryland in a gorgeous mountain setting. No reservations are required for picking! Though they do get pretty busy during apple picking season so go early!
- Summer fruits you can pick at Catoctin Mountain Orchard: blueberries (June-August), cherries (June-July), tart cherries (June-July)
- Stop by their market for fresh ripening fruit that you can’t pick on your own like strawberries
- And check out their 1/2 acre Flower Garden with more than 25 varieties of flowers including Zinnias, Lisianthus, Gomphrena, Celosia, Black-Eyed Susan, Statice, Asters, Cock’s Comb, Snap Dragons, Sunflowers. Available June – October.
- Every Saturday and Sunday in September and October you can pick apples!
- Location: 15036 North Franklinville Road, Thurmont, MD 21788
Swann Farms in Owings Maryland
At Swann Farms in Maryland, you can start picking strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries starting around June! They have blackberries in August.
Swann has many fresh fruits available at their farm stand as well if you don’t want to pick your own.
Location: 7740 Swan Ln, Owings, MD, 20736
Miller Farm is the place for strawberry picking in Maryland starting in May! Definitely check out their shop for delicious pies and ICE CREAM! Their fresh in-season fruit soft-serve ice creams are just divine!
In the fall they have a lovely pumpkin patch where you can pick your own pumpkin.
Location: 10140 Piscataway Rd. Clinton, MD 20735
Shlagel Farms Maryland Strawberry Picking
Shlagel Farms has a wonderful pick your own strawberry field in Maryland.
You need not need a reservation to pick strawberries at Shlagel, but if there are too many people in the field you may have to wait in your car.
Don’t forget to stop by their milkshake trailer serving huge strawberry shortcakes, milkshakes and cones!
They also offer a pumpkin patch in the fall!
Location: 12850 Shlagel Rd, Waldorf, MD 20601, 45 minutes away from Washington DC.
Weber’s Peachberry Farm
Weber’s has the cutest name for a Farm! And as their name suggests they have plenty of peaches AND berries for picking in Maryland.
You will need to pre-purchase PYO tickets at Weber’s Peachberry Farm, get tickets and updates here.
Strawberry picking at this Maryland farm starts mid-May and runs through mid-June.
Pick your own schedule:
- Strawberries Mid-May thru Mid-June
- Blueberries Late June thru Mid-July
- Blackberries Mid-July thru Mid-August
- Peaches Mid-July thru Late August
- Apples September thru Early November
Location: 11409 Harford Rd, Glen Arm, MD 21057