Let’s keep in touch follow me below:
McKee Beshers is probably one of the more popular sunflower fields in the Maryland and DC area. But with the weather being so hot in July and random thunderstorms the sunflowers at Mckee Beshers in Maryland lasted only about a week. Plus for 2021 the sunflowers at McKee Beshers were a HUGE disappointment! They were mostly overrun by green weeds!
But not to worry there’s more than one sunflower field in Maryland and Virginia! Here are 10 more sunflower fields in Maryland and Virginia that are blooming in August or September.
Sunflowers in Maryland New for 2021
Sunflowers in Maryland and Virginia are now blooming all the way through October! Keep reading to see the new sunflower fields I’ve added for 2021!
Winterbrook Farms is an incredible family-friendly 327-acre farm in the beautiful Catoctin Mountain region just outside of Thurmont in Frederick County Maryland, located at 13001 Creagerstown Rd, Thurmont, MD 21788.
At only about a 1-hour drive from Washington DC and about 40 minutes from Montgomery County, Maryland, Winterbook Farms is an excellent day trip for the whole family!
If you’ve ever wanted to see sunflowers surrounded by gorgeous mountains like in France Winterbrook Farms is it! They’ve planted 10 acres of sunflowers for 2021 and it’s going to be gorgeous.
For comparison, if you’ve been to McKee Beshers, each field is about 10 acres, so if you want sunflower pictures like the ones I posted on Instagram last year, then Winterbrook Farms is going to be it!
The best part? This Maryland sunflower field blooms in September which is my favorite time for sunflowers! It won’t be hot and muggy, the majority of the mosquitos will be gone so you’ll actually get to enjoy yourself and get some beautiful pictures of your family!
Plus they have so many fun photo props set up in the field, no other sunflower fields I’ve seen have this many amazing props for your Instagram photos! I absolutely loved the bathtub and swing set, it’s made all my #cottagecore dreams come true!
Their Sunflower Festival kicks off September 4, 2021, with the Sippin in the Sunflowers Event – GET TICKETS HERE.
Winterbrook Farms has partnered with Catoctin Breeze Vineyard (one of my favorite Maryland Wineries) for the perfect sunflower and wine experience during sunset!
Sippin in Sunflowers
- Special ticketed event – GET TICKETS HERE
- With your ticket enjoy a hayride to the beautiful 10-acre sunflower field and receive a custom souvenir wine glass filled with 5oz of award-winning Catoctin Breeze wine
- There will be live music, food trucks, and plenty of photo ops
- The Sauced Savage BBQ and The Whistle Punk Farm food trucks joining us to serve their delicious food
- Event Dates & Hours:
- Saturday, September 4th from 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Sunday, September 5th from 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Regular farm activities will NOT be open during this event. If you have small children, we recommend coming during our regular Sunflower Festival instead
- Buy your tickets ahead of time, tickets will not be sold the day of and it’s likely to sell out! – GET TICKETS
The main Sunflower Festival at Winterbrook Farms starts Friday, September 10th, and will be full of fun family-friendly activities – GET TICKETS.
- Friday, Saturday & Sunday, September 10th, 11th & 12th
- Friday, Saturday & Sunday, September 17th, 18th, & 19th
- Fridays: 1:00pm to 6:00pm
- Saturdays & Sundays: 10:00am to 6:00pm
- Fridays: $10 per person (2 & under are free)
- Saturdays & Sundays: $12 per person (2 & under are free)
- Sunflowers: $1.50 / stem
- Admission to the festival includes over 20+ activities for ALL ages (including Farm Animals, Jumping Pillow, Mini Ziplines, Round Bale Rollers, Mountain Slides, Moo Choo Train Rides, Pedal Karts, more!)
- Enjoy walking through the field with several photo opportunities and the option to pick your own sunflowers (additional fee)
Winterbrook Farms Sunflower Photography Policy
Whether you’re a professional or amateur photographer, Winterbook Farms has set aside time for you to get some stunning sunset photos at their sunflower field! Winterbrook Farm will be open until 7:30 on Thursdays for their 2021 sunflower season, more information HERE.
(My exact dress is available here)
Butler’s Orchard Sunflowers
Butler’s Orchard has a lovely little field of sunflowers in Maryland that usually hits full bloom in the middle of August, for 2021 they anticipate peak bloom will start on August 9, 2021.
The best part is this farm is just as close to DC as Mckee Beshers. Because of the pandemic, they have timed entry tickets you can purchase online.
They’ve also made the path through the field extra wide for social distancing and they’ve added some fun props perfect for photos! Butler’s Orchard is a great place for kids and they have a large variety of pick your own fruits and veggies.
The field isn’t huge, about 3 acres, definitely not as big as Mckee Beshers or Winterbrook Farms. The Sunflower Festival runs from August 6-15 for 2021. Get tickets here.
- Ticket Info: Tuesday – Thursday:
– $5 admission
– Toddlers under 24 months are free Friday – Sunday:
– $10 admission
– Toddlers under 24 months are free
– Extended hours until 8:30 pm on Fridays & Saturdays
- They have pick your own fruit, veggies, and flowers
- There’s a Farmer’s Market at the entrance where you can buy fruits, veggies, pies, jam, and honey.
- Butler’s Orchard Location: 22222 Davis Mill Rd, Germantown, MD 20876
- Sunflowers bloom around mid-August at Butler’s Orchard
Though we were too early for the sunflower field, we had a great time picking flowers at Butler’s Orchard. For more on what blooms when in DC and where to pick flowers see here.
Sunflower Fields in Maryland | Clear Meadow Farm Sunflower Field
Clear Meadow Farm has to be one of my favorite sunflower fields in Maryland! It is the first sunflower field I ever went to even before the sunflower fields in Maryland at Mckee Beshers. I love this sunflower field in Maryland because it typically blooms in September!
If you’ve lived in Maryland and Virginia you know that July and August are typically the hottest months of the year in this area. This means that sunflowers that bloom in July and August in Maryland and Virginia tend to look kind of wilty and the bloom doesn’t last very long!
Every time I’ve been to Clear Meadow Farm’s sunflower field in Maryland the weather has been perfect! Because it’s September! It’s not as hot, there’s barely any mosquitos, and no thunderstorms!
For 2021 Clear Meadow Farms sunflowers open September 24th! They are asking for a donation of $5 a car or $1 per person for larger groups. This is not a cut-your-own flower farm so please don’t cut the sunflowers. You can buy sunflowers during staffed hours. When it’s not staffed please put your donation in the donation box!
Location: 3767 Norrisville Rd. Jarrettsville, MD 21084
Sunflower Fields in Maryland | Rocky Point Creamery Sunflower Field
Rocky Point Creamery has the best ice cream. What could be better than some sunflowers and ice cream together. The best part? You can actually pick the sunflowers at Rocky Point Creamery.
The sunflowers are $1 each and Rocky Point donates the proceeds to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
The payment for flowers is more of an honor system. They have a jar and some scissors out on the entrance to the field where you can put money in. No one is manning the field.
There’s no entrance fee here, but definitely donate even if you don’t pick the sunflowers. Be sure to get some ice cream too! The sunflower field at Rocky Point Creamery blooms around mid-August, as of August 6, 201 they have not bloomed yet!
Compared to McKee Besher and Winterbrook Farms, the sunflower field at Rocky Point Creamery in Maryland is much much smaller. It’s very pretty, but it’s more of a “patch” when compared to the former two fields.
Don’t make the mistake I did in trying to go on a Monday Rocky Point closes on Mondays!
- Open Tuesday to Sunday 11:30pm to 8:30pm
- They are open later than Butler’s so you’ll be able to get some great sunset pictures here
- Definitely eat some ice cream
- Rocky Point Creamery Location: 4323 Tuscarora Rd, Tuscarora, MD 21790
- Sunflowers bloom around mid-August
Burnside Farms Sunflower Field in Virginia
If you’ve read my post on tulips, you know I’ve not had the greatest experience at Burnside Farms in Virginia. But I’ve heard these sunflower fields in Virginia are amazing.
This sunflower field in Virginia has a ton of varieties that bloom at different times (over 30 types of sunflowers)! Burnside Farms’ sunflower field will be blooming from July through Labor Day.
They are open daily from 9am to 8pm, tickets for sunset cost a few dollars more than day time hours. You know sunset is the best time for photos!
- Admission to Burnside Farms sunflower field is $14 per person over 11, $10 for kids 2-12, and free for kids under 2- Tickets Here.
- Adult tickets include 3 sunflowers that you can pick, kids tickets do not include sunflowers
- Additional sunflowers at Burnside Farms for $1.50 each
- Burnside even has a sunflower maze set to bloom in September (for 2021 the maze got eaten by deer)
- Sunflower field address for Burnside Farms: 11008 Kettle Run Rd., Nokesville, VA.
- You can take professional photos here for the price of admission during their regular hours
- They do allow dogs on a leash
- For sunset hours tickets are slightly more
Auburn Farm Sunflower Patch in Virginia
I didn’t know about this 20-acre sunflower farm in Virginia until one of my amazing readers on Instagram sent it to me! She went and said it was amazing!
Auburn Farm Sunflower Patch is about 1.5 hours from Washington DC, at 17736 Auburn Road, Brandy Station, Virginia
(Located just north of Culpeper, Virginia, two miles off of Route 29).
If you happen to live in VA this would be a great spot to visit! And you can cut your own flowers here be sure to bring your own shears and pack a picnic to enjoy on the farm!
August 21-23 — Friday-Sunday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
August 28-30 — Friday-Sunday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
$10/person (kids 5 and under free)
(Admission is paid onsite, no advance purchase needed)
- Sunflowers are expected to bloom sometime in September 2021.
More details here.
Clarksville Sunflower Festival in Maryland
The wonderful farmers at Mary Land’s Farm plan the Clarksville Sunflower Festival! The Clarksville Sunflower Festival is about 1 hour from Washington DC in Maryland at, 4979 Sheppard Lane, Ellicott City, MD 21042.
I’ve never been to this one but it is bigger than Rocky Point Creamery at 5 acres of sunflowers. The festival has cut a path through the sunflowers so it’s easier to navigate.
- Dates: August 14-29
- Eat, drink and be merry from food trucks
- Listen to live music from local artists in the pavilion
- Shop from unique vendors
- See a fully operating sustainable farm and meet our pasture-raised cows, sheep and ducks, organic chickens, woodland raised pigs, and greenhouses full of healthy vegetables
- Pick your own sunflower bloom to take home with you!
And this year they have time-slotted tickets and limited entry for social distancing. They have quite a few varieties of sunflowers and even a field of Black-Eyed Susans, which is the Maryland State flower!
There is a cost to entry and also for cutting your own flowers. The festival runs from August 14th to the 29th for the 2021 season. Their ticket prices run quite a bit higher than other sunflower fields especially at $40 per ticket for sunset hours! Get tickets here.
Sunflower Fields in Maryland | Maryland Agricultural Resource Council
I’ll admit I’ve never been to the Maryland Agricultural Resource Council’s sunflower fields in Maryland, but this year it’s blooming in September too so I had to add it to the list!
September is my favorite time of year to see sunflowers in Maryland because the weather is usually perfect for any outdoor activity.
The Maryland Agricultural Council encourages picking their sunflowers and having a picnic on site. September is a great time in Maryland to have a picnic.
- Sunflowers are $1 each or $10 for a dozen
- Payment is by honor box, like at Rocky Point Creamery, put money in the jar
- Open sunrise to sunset, you’ll be able to get lovely sunset pictures here
- You can bring your dog, but must be on a leash
- Address: 1114 Shawan Road, Cockeysville, Maryland 21030
- More info on this sunflower field in Maryland here: https://marylandagriculture.org/pick-your-own/
Update 2021: No update has been given if they will have sunflowers this year.
Sunflowers of Lisbon in Maryland
I just heard about Sunflowers of Lisbon from one of my friends who just went! It looks amazing at 10 acres of sunflowers, bigger than Butler’s Orchard and Rocky Point Creamery.
Sunflowers of Lisbon has 2 locations, Lisbon and Maple Lawn. The Maple Lawn location is open from August 7, 2021- to September 6, 2021.
The Lisbon location will open from September 17, 2021-October 10, 2021.
You do not need to purchase tickets in advance as with some of the other fields and there is no timed entry. The great thing about Sunflowers of Lisbon is the long open hours, you can get some nice sunset photos here!
You do need to wear a mask when you cannot social distance such as in the ticket line or bathroom line.
- Open Monday – Thursday, 12 pm to 8 pm (dusk)
- Open Friday – Sunday, 9 am to 8 pm
- Admission Price: 4 yrs old and under free, 5+ $15 per person
- No advanced purchase or time entry
- Admission includes a free hayride and 2 sunflowers, additional sunflowers can be purchased for $2 each
- At the Maple Lawn Location, they are hosting festivals with live bands, food trucks, and a variety of craft vendors
- Cash and check only, ATM on site
- Pets on a leash are allowed
- There will be port-o-potties at each location along with handwashing stations
- The Maple Lawn Location: 11788 Route 216, Fulton, Maryland 20759
- Lisbon Location: 15875 Frederick Road, Woodbine, Maryland 21797
More info here.
The Sunflower Garden in Maryland
The Sunflower Garden has probably one of the cutest sunflower drive ways!! Yes a field of sunflowers all along the driveway. I’ve never been to this field but it looks amazing.
Peak bloom should be at the end of August, beginning of September.
Their driveway should be in full bloom early September! This is a pick your own flower garden with more than just sunflowers.
- You will need to buy tickets for weekend entry at $14 per person, tickets here.
- The Sunflower Garden is at 2390 Manchester Rd, Westminster, MD 21157.
- More info here.
Summers Farm in Frederick Maryland
Summers Farm has planted 8 beautiful acres of sunflowers this year with 35 different varieties! The best news they bloom from late August to September!
This is one of the bigger sunflower fields in Maryland and about 1-hour drive from Washington DC.
- Time and Dates Open: August 21, 22, 28, & 29th, September 4, 5, 6, 11 & 12th, 10am to 7pm, get a ticket here.
- General Admission (ages 3-99): $17.50 per person
- Children 2 and under are free!
- One (1) extra bloom: $3.00
- Three (3) extra blooms: $9.00
- Six (6) extra blooms: $12.00
- Six (6) + Mason Jar: $15.00
- Twelve (12) extra blooms: $18.00
- Six (6) + decorative bucket:$20.00
- Admission includes a wagon ride to the sunflower field, one FREE sunflower bloom of your choice, and 45+ activities including corn hole, Jenga, corn maze, tetherball, farmer golf, farm animals and so much more! Your admission schedules your time to visit our sunflower fields
- Location: 5620 Butterfly Ln, Frederick, MD 21703
For updated information on their sunflower field click here.
Farm Heritage Conservancy Sunflowers in Southern Maryland
The sunflowers at Farm Heritage Conservancy kicks off on Labor Day weekend annually!
This farm has 8 acres of pick-your-own sunflowers and an Art Barn. For Kick-Off Weekend, LIMITED food, beer and wine will be available for purchase.
Sunflower picking is included in the ticket price, get tickets here. Bring your own shears!
This sunflower field is in southern Maryland so iif you happen to live in Southeast DC, this would be a closer option for you than some of the other sunflower fields.
- Masks are required in all indoor spaces and outdoor spaces if physical distancing of at least 6 feet is not possible.
- Only pre-paid tickets will be accepted for entry. Choose the date and time frame of your visit.
- $12.50 per Adult, Children 7 & under are FREE, get tickets here.
- Location: Serenity Farm, Inc, 6932 Serenity Farm Road, Benedict, MD 20612
Clark’s Elioak Farm Sunflower Patch
Clark’s Elioak Farm has a new sunflower patch! We’ve come here before for a birthday party and it was amazing!
Their sunflower patch opens from September 1 to 13 until 7 pm. and you can take photos. Get a photo with a Gingerbreadman or in a Teacup or a Tractor in a setting of gorgeous sunflowers! You can take photos all day during our regular business hours.
And this farm does allow outside food and drink so pack a picnic and enjoy their sunflowers! Bring a blanket or use their picnic tables.
Admission is $8 per person and you must purchase a ticket before going, buy a ticket here.
Location: 10500 Clarksville Pike, Ellicott City, MD 21042
Lesher’s Poultry Farm has the BIGGEST sunflower field I have ever seen! Lesher’s plants over 200 acres of sunflowers every year. I’ve not seen a sunflower field in Maryland, Washington DC, or Virginia anywhere this size!
If you’ve dreamed of the sunflower fields in France in beautiful rows as far as the eye can see then Lesher’s sunflower field is it!
Full bloom hits Lesher’s usually around the first weekend of September and runs through the middle of September. Because the field is so big, even if only half the field is blooming that’s still 100 acres! More than enough to get some beautiful sunflower photos.
Technically Lesher’s Farm is not in Maryland it’s just over the border in Pennsylvania. This sunflower field is about 1.5 hours drive from Washington DC. I’d say it’s well worth it!
Lesher’s is also FREE to enter and there are no hours restrictions so definitely go for sunset for some beautiful photos! They also have cut your own flowers at $1 per stem.
There is one road that you can drive through the field and plenty of designated parking spots along the road. We went during sunset on Saturday and had no trouble finding parking!
Because the field is so large there were also no crowds.
Location: 2771 Springview Drive, Chambersburg, Pa 17202
Book a Photo Session
Interested in capturing stunning family portraits? Book a session with me today! I specialize in family, newborn, maternity, and portrait photography. Capture real smiles at picture-perfect locations! Space is limited.